Monday, April 09, 2007

Leila, who stole my love & crushed it like a wet toad on an asphalt road

Leila, I loved you lightly,
liking your luscious lips,loose hair,
and left-handed Southern charm.
Leila, I loved you with lunacy,
laughing loftily, loving lustily,
while we looped the loop,
metaphorically speaking,
while freaking on benches
and downtown bars.

Leila! you low-down liar!
You went out and lay with another.
You larked and parked in darkened cars,
while I studied all night long
at libraries and coffeehouses,
hoping some day to be a writer,
trying not to turn a blighter,
denying my parents' vision
of doctor, barrister, priest.

Leila, you lecherous lesbian,
why didn't you just tell me the truth
of who you were or who you thought you'd be?
You left me lonely, lying on hardened lava,
cold as a clock that stops tick tock-
ing in the lounge where western lizards
lick salt and lime lysergic juices.

Lynx! You left me fixing sinks,
when I dropped out of law school.
I couldn't cogitate worth a sheet
of legal yellow!
After my crisis
was past at last I got mellow, called you
and said, "Hellow, Leila! It's me
who loves you huskily and
longs for you lustily."

You did the sane thing and laughed
while I thrashed out my inner demons
praying to the lyrical lemurs
who led me to temptation
on the other side of night,
down to the lower side of Basin Street,
on the saddest afternoon
of the rest of my life.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 09, 2007 12:44:00 PM, Anonymous sweetsusan said...

One of your best works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home