Thursday, September 29, 2005

Teaching amidst chaos

____Second hour was a surprise: during my planning period, the principal had directed some one else's history class to come in and sit with me. No problem, I can do that.
____Five or six students hadn't even brought their books. I tried teaching them the old fashioned way, in a group, in discussion, or having them listen, but that didn't fly. These high school students were either just going to try having a field day, or they were just one of the most undisciplined, lazy, rude students I have met.

____But no problem. I got their names, I got their attention, and maybe they learned at least a little something about pre-Christianity, the rise and fall of the Greek and Roman Empires.

____Now it's quiet again, the lit class is back. This is an open book test.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home