Thursday, March 03, 2005

Back to work I must be

____I won't lie. I'm in my skivvies, slippers, and housecoat, and it's already thirty-four minutes past ten, well past the middle of the morning! Tuesday I worked 24 hours straight through, so I suppose I'm still recovering. But I've got to get hot on these reports, which were due last night.

____I'm losing this match. Had doubled after losing the initiative, which is something a serious player should never do. I only say I do it because this is on the net, not on any record, and definitely not being played for money. There, my last lonely little piece on his home board's been bounced. The jig is up. Or is it? I just bounced him back. No, no, he's got too many pieces off his board already.

____And so I resigned, offering him a gammon of four points. And the answering machine's not working. Got to go. Oh! I almost forgot to tell you about this great little story-book, Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame. A most excellent read this is, not just a children's story, but a novel with animal characters which is chock full of subtle British humor(now Mr. Grahame was a Scotsman, I've read), observations about human and animal behavior which are quite spot-on, actually.

____The story begins in Spring, as Mole is doing his spring cleaning, and gets fed up with it. He decides to break free of his chores, and goes adventuring. Climbing up a tunnel and scraping away the cover, he bursts forth into a run, not stopping till he gets to the River, which he's never seen before. And the adventures begin! I won't say any moreabout the plot-- it would be spoiling it for you. However, there are interesting turns which make this well worth the reading for the serious literary scholar. No kidding.
____The humanization of the characters of Mole, River Rat, Badger, Toad, the Weasels and Stoats is authentically English, reflected in the voices and thoughts of our Riverine and Forest heros and villains.
____I promise you won't be disappointed, as long as you've any taste at all for stories. My four year old doesn't want to hear it read yet, as the illustrations, done in ink by Ernest H. Shepard, don't appeal to her, but I'll be either making my own, or looking for an illustrated copy at the library, as we're quite low in funds now. For you more mature readers and art lovers, I assure you the illustrations are very good, rather whimsical but charming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home