Wednesday, February 23, 2005

"Troy," --this latest version of the Iliad

I had ordered the DVD as part of a deal with some firm, and saw a chance to present it to some of my students, since one of them has been reading a simple English translation of the Iliad, albeit in comic book form. So far I've enjoyed it, though I can see how hard it would be to do a faithful version of the epic, wow the masses, and still please the critics. I didn't like that the director saw fit to alter the plot by leaving out the beginning of the plot, where Agamemnon insults Apollo, and has to later still surrender Chryseis.

Yet judging by the standard of Hollywood, if there is one standard, Troy is not a bad film. It just failed the expectations one might have had because this epic has such high ranking in the canon of Western literature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home