Saturday, November 27, 2004

Learning Mandarin Chinese

About a week ago I started posting these short entries about learning languages. I won't promise anything, but for a while I'll probably move on to other languages. So tonight let me put at least one more on the board: Putonwha, I think they call it, or "the people's language." Known in the English-speaking world as Mandarin Chinese.

I know, I know --I've got too much on my plate as it is, but hey --we've got a new Chinese restaurant in town, the Great Wall. And I had walked in and greeted the young lady at the counter in Mandarin, which got a pleasantly surprised reaction. So I thought I'd learn a few more phrases, and I got my daughter and son to sit down and learn with me at BBC's introductory spoken Chinese lessons. It's very easy and loads quickly on even a 56K connection.

Someone told me there are Chinese lessons available if you've got satellite television. I just got a "brand new" television, which is the first television I've ever bought in my life. It will be a while before we can afford a decent antenna, cable programming, or satellite.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home