Saturday, November 27, 2004

Anti-Arab hatred and prejudice

Someone in the 'Presidential Elections' bulletin board at Yahoo posted that the United States should expell Moslems or Arabs "if they are not willing to assimilate..." I responded thus:

There are many successful Arabs who have assimilated. No one is mentioning them. Senator George Mitchell has just been put in charge of Walt Disney Corporation. Kasey Kasem is Arab (Lebanese). Gibran Khalil Gibran, the pre-eminent philosopher, came to Boston and Savannah to study. JF Kennedy quoted from his writings:

"Ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country."

I would suggest in stead of just complaining about the problem, become part of the solution. Sure I support a strict immigration policy. But I also teach English as a Second Language and Civics.

Their insults against races and religions will only give fuel to the enemies of our great nation.
I've been following the postings for a third day now. They are fascinating, some of them in a way reminiscent of grafitti which I used to scrutinize for clues as to the author's state of mind, others as political thought which actually offers itself to be part of a constructive dialogue. But most of it is drivel, much of that driven by hate, self-righteousness, fear. And a great portion of it lacking the benefit of consideration and revision. Very spontaneous. Maybe that's part of the fun of it.

Yet what I've noticed most of all is the hate which is being incited against Moslems. I have left feeling rather troubled. And now my indigestion is acting up. I forgot to take my medicine. So I go to get it, and hit the post button as I go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home