Wednesday, September 15, 2004

I woke up in the middle of the night, having dreamt a dream of an attempt to escape some catastrophe. My dream had a hip hop sound track. Anyway, I need to study for the big test later today in Exceptional Children, a class I am taking at Brewton Parker.

These are the six principlesof IDEA--the Individuals with Disabilites Education Act of 1975, which govern the education of students with disabilities:
1) Zero reject: this is a rule against excluding any student.
2) Non-discriminatory evaluation: schools are required to evaluate students fairly to determine if they have a disability, and if so, what kind and how extensive.
3) Appropriate education requires schools to provide individually tailored education for each student based on the evaluation and augmented by the related services and supplementary aids and services;
4) The least restrictive environment rule requires schools to educate students with disabilites with students without disabilites to the maximum extent appropriate for the students with disabilities.
5) Procedural due process provides safeguards for students against schools' actions, including a righto to sue in court;
6) Parental and student participation is a rule which requires schools to collaborate with parents and adolescent students in designing and carrying out special education programs.

I'm worried that I may not pass this course. Of course, I 'd better. I'm already teaching evenings, and I need the certification to increase our income. My kids need the income more than I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home