Monday, May 17, 2004

When I last looked at the clock, it was 12:12. I'm struggling with the distractions of my four-year old's tantrums, the heat and humidity, my hunger, and my anxieties... My daughter had found a toad caught in a clay bowl whose slick ceramic concave insides kept it trapped. After some discussion, much protest on her side, we freed it in front of a make-shift "cave" that was already in place within a half-buried cinderblock.

Somehow I checked the time in the nick of time, to turn on the radio at 12:01 so that I could listen to Keillor's Writer's Almanac.

I'm walking over to the ATM of the local bank where we've an account. There, I can draw some cash without any fee. I'll eat a little lunch, maybe at the sandwich shop, where it's shady, air-conditioned, and I can get credit stamps to affix to this little wallet-sized card. Then off to the library to write an essay on patriotism and flag courtesy.

12:21 She's calm now, reading aloud softly to herself. But I have promised her that we'll properly learn how to make a spacious terrarium, and find an animal which she can keep there (if only for a while, I hope; in the meantime I'll work on teaching her to accept releasing animals to an appropriate environ).

And now to lunch... Later!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home