Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Time now, 14:11 EST. Outside, cold, damp, cloudy. Inside, smell of bread baking, sounds of children playing, Nora Jones on my earphones, singing Turn Me On; ( "sittin' here waitin' for you to come on home, and turn me on...")

Just posted my resume' on another jobs/career development website. After I get finished with my VA paperwork, I need to find and contact the Interpreters' and Translators' Association here in the Peach State. Well, will have to search later tonight, after my classes. (After dark, over here)

In Haiti, have the government rebels reached the city of Port-au-Prince yet? A M. Petime' spokesperson for the rebels, said that they would be there by Monday. I think I've been busy with the classes I teach, and the organizing of a neighborhood crime watch, and my own children. I've not even had time to relax and really listen to the world news, instead, catching it on the fly. After I had twice done the edit on this, posted it, I was cleaning more of one of my mailboxes out, and read the following posted on the New York Times' site by LYDIA POLGREEN and CHRISTOPHER MARQUIS yesterday. "They're moving in our direction, but we're not there yet," said an administration official briefed on the talks.
But when was this said, and when was it filed?

"Representative Kendrick B. Meek, a Florida Democrat, said the United States should intervene immediately... Senator Mike DeWine, an Ohio Republican who has visited Haiti more than a dozen times in recent years, expressed disappointment at the opposition's rejection and said the United States should prepare to use force." These lines excerpted from Christopher Marquis' article today in the New York Times. When are these politicians going to say that we're enough involved? Many, including much of the military, think we're stretched far too thin now. If the Administration is serious about its much vaunted War on Terrorism, they have to convince such as DeWine and Meek to focus their energies in supporting the resolution of the problems to which we've stuck ourselves, as with the proverbial tar-baby--especially Afghanistan, Iraq, and the Horn of Africa. Not too mention this monster of a bureaucracy, the Homeland Defense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home